About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog! I'm Sarah and my remarkable man, Jason, is starting medical school to pursue his dream of becoming an MD. This is our journey that we welcome you to join in and hopefully find encouragement, helpful tips and a friend to walk alongside the ups and downs of life in the medical world! This journey has often reminded that, "the heart of man plans his way but the LORD establishes his steps" Prov. 16:9

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

A Tribute to My Grandfather



From my view as a child: 
He was tall, 6' 2" to be exact, trustworthy, fun and you better pay attention when he was giving instructions! 
An unexpected "BEEP-BEEP" from behind would send my heart leaping out of my chest like the coyote's when confronted by the Roadrunner wondering, how does he sneak up so quickly!
No problem was too small, no time was considered wasted even if he had to repair the ropes on the swings over and over again.
The joy in his inventions to solve my troubled heart over a broken toy, or to cure boredom by tying string to old tin cans for stilts or if that wasn't the right prescription, there was always a chore to be given. 
A joyous laugh, a deep stern voice, a spontaneous song all to be heard at any corner of the house. 


*  *  *

From my view as an adult: 
He was tall, 6' 2" even at age 90, trustworthy, never a dull moment and you still better pay attention when he was giving instructions! 
"Hello" from the moment I puled into the driveway and the last one waving good-bye reminding me to wear my seat belt, adjust my mirrors and drive safely.
The stories of hosting camp grounds off the Blue Ridge Parkway with my grandmother at his side hauling their "Little House on the Pavement", to tales of war and his father whom he highly respected.
A born leader trusted by many; A man of his word.
The calls from his friends and neighbors and the jingling of keys as he headed out to meet their needs; a tender heart, a confident mind, a man who would stand by your side.
To a daughter and son he was a consistent father, to his country a veteran, pride in the red, white and blue!
His repetitive words of love and admiration daily directed toward his wife of 66+ years whom he knew to the end, despite the sickness of dementia that would close his eyes one last time.
A joyous laugh, a soft kind word, a look of pleasant surprise when he hears that I'm his granddaughter for the seventh time in a day.
A sinner, a believer, a man now made whole, united with his Savior!

The memories of you Pop-pop will sweeten our loss until we see you again!

 




We all leave behind some kind of memory and legacy. My grandfather, or Pop-Pop as he was known among me, my siblings and cousins, was a loved and important man to many he left behind!






No comments:

Post a Comment